New Yorkis one of the states that offers excellent employment and career opportunities for drivers with a forklift license. To get the job you want, you must first get certified.
That's the most important part of this job. OSHA stipulated that only licensed operators could operate forklifts, otherwise employers and operators alike could face criminal charges and large fines if found guilty.
If you're a beginner or a beginner preparing to exercise, trying to figure out where to start can be a daunting task. So we have prepared these easy to understand steps to get the forklift license easily:
How to get a forklift license in New York
Here are the steps to get your license:
- Find an instructor or trade school where you can enroll for a comprehensive training course for new forklift operators. A list of trade schools in New York is below for your reference.
- To become a certified operator, you should attend face-to-face training. During the lecture, the participants learn safety regulations, the basics and principles of driving forklifts, safe loading and unloading, accident prevention, risk analysis and accident reporting.
- The written exam takes place after the face-to-face training. Participants are expected to pass the 75% score to qualify. The success rate may vary depending on the school chosen.
- If the test is passed, practical forklift operation follows. In this phase, participants must demonstrate how to actually drive the machine. The trainees must prove to the trainer that they are qualified and that they can use the forklift truck properly. The given sets of tasks are to be managed like the correct applicationforklift controls, driving the machine on rough road surface, lifting materials from heights, loading and unloading materials, transferring from one location to another, reversing and maneuvering, safe work practices, hazard analysis when performing work, near miss prevention and many other topics , which may be helpful.
- Once the trainees have completed the training program and passed the written test and actual assessment, the instructor will make the recommendation to consider you certified. You will receive a training certificate and a forklift license. The license is valid for three years.
The forklift approval process can be carried out at the workplace if the employer insists. The employer must prepare a meeting place that can accommodate the number of participants. This training method is most helpful for operators because they can be trained based on the conditions of the job they are working in and the type of forklift they are using.
Employers with a small fleet of operators and no such facility for training may send their operators to vocational school.
When choosing a training course you need to be specific to the type of forklift you intend to drive as the training program should be specific to that forklift
But go ahead, I would like to ask you to READ these important topics:
- Where can you go to get a forklift license
- What are the prerequisites you need before attending the training
- How much does it cost you to get forklift training?
- How long does it take to complete the training course
- Another alternative: online forklift training – is that right for you?
If you are an employerwho are looking for forklift training for their operators, READ these:
- Appoint someone to be the forklift trainer to conduct the training to save money
- Is it your responsibility to train the workers?
- What should the training consist of to comply with OSHA?
- Worker is injured at work, are you liable?
- How to renew the forklift license for your employees
Forklift Training Schools in New York
- Training to become a professional driver- 600 Patton Avenue, West Babylon, NY 11704, 300 Wynkoop Road, Hurley, New York 12443, Rufen Sie 631-206-6224 an
- Ferrari driving school- Long Island City, Queens 3528 19th Ave., Btwn 31st & 37th Streets, Astoria, New York 11105, P:718-278-6679
- General forklift company- 2589 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10303, Tel.: 718.816.5000, Fx: 718.727.5551
- Infiniti Handhabungssystem Inc- 603 Chestnut Street, Garden City, NY 11530, Tel: (516) 280-7589, Fax: (516) 280-7595
- PMT Forklift Corp.- 275 Great East Neck Rd., West Babylon, NY 11704, 631-661-5050, 631-661-1199 Fax
- TSCTA Training Academy- 332 E. 149th Street, 7. Stock, Bronx, NY 10451, Telefon: 718-208-2910
- Blakley gear- 491 E Third Street, Mount Vernon, NY 10553, Telefon: +1 914-664-5500
- OSHA 10 NY- Westbabylon, Phone: 800-501-9440, Fax: 800-295-2550
- Swing Staging Training & Safety, LLC- 25-20 Borden Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101, Telephone number (917) 584-6569, Fax number (917) 584-7948
- NextWave Security Solutions, Inc.- 5 Hanover Sq., 24th Floor, New York, NY 10004, Tel.: 212-933-9071
- United Rents- 7178 SCHUYLER ROAD, EAST SYRACUSE, NY 13057, 315-463-6974, Fax: 315-463-8953
- PMT Forklift Corp.- 275 Great East Neck Rd., West Babylon, NY 11704, 631-661-5050, 631-661-1199 Fax
- Competent security advice- 124 Front St #207, Massapequa Park, NY 11762, Telefon: +1 888-926-4727
- Herc rental- 19-01 Steinway St, Astoria, NY 11105, Telefon: 718-777-5126
- Crown forklifts- 5 Charlotte Avenue, Hicksville, NY 11801, Fax: 516-822-0205
- Durante rental- 122 N. Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford NY 10523, Telefon: (914) 347-6969, Fax: (914) 347-6968
- Summit Toyota Lift- m63 Mall Drive, Commack, NY 11725, Telefon: (631) 236-4466, Fax: (631) 864-2382
- Buffalo Heavy Equipment Bedienerschulung- 803 Niagara Falls Boulevard, Buffalo, NY 14226, 716-834-2000
- Tribune Trainingsakademie- Queens Boulevard, Long Island City, Telefon: (929) 384 - 7580, Handy: (917) 330 - 0891
- Material Handling Products Corp.- 11 Opus Blvd., Suite A, Schenectady, NY 12306, Main: (518) 372-5631, Toll Free: (800) 634-9364
- Thompson und Johnson Equipment Co., Inc.- 6926 Fly Rd, East Syracuse, NY 13057, (315) 895-1029 (local), (877) 460-9186 (toll free)
- Insley-McEntee- 1112 Emerson St., Rochester, (585) 458-4660
- Eastern Lift Truck Co., Inc.- 4606 3rd Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11220 Toll: (866) 980-7175
- Buffalo-Materialhandhabung- 125 Taylor Dr, Depew, Main Office: 716-894-6370, Toll Free: 877-741-9555
- ProLift- 1835 Dale Road, Büffel, 1-888-259-9485
- Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce- 150 State Street, Suite 400, Rochester, Call 585.244.1800
- Dobmeier forklift & LPM parts from Buffalo- 620 Ontario St. Buffalo, 716-874-4545 - 716-876-8344
- Liftech- 6847 Ellicott Drive #2, East Syracuse, Phone: 315-463-7333, Fax: 315-463-6971, Toll Free: 877-543-8324
- Commercial Driver Education, Inc.- 300 Wynkoop Rd, Hurley, Telefon: 845 535-4190
- Abel Womack- 140 Rodeo Drive, Edgewood, toll-free: 888-610-1564
- NOTO Industrial- For the tri-state area, T: 631 736-7600
- JIT Toyota-Lift- 52 S Pearl St Postfach 613, Frewsburg, 716-473-1006
- Northeastern Retail Lumber Association- 585 North Greenbush Road, Rensselaer, New York 12144, Tel.: +1 518-286-1010
Now if you are wondering how to enroll in a school so that you can get quality and affordable education? Read this:
- How to choose a forklift training school?
- Where to go to get a forklift license
Requirements for forklift drivers
Training schools may request additional requirements, check with them exactly what they need.
- A vehicle driver's license is not mandatory when applying for the training course, but employers preferred that operators have a valid NY driver's license.
- Must be 18 years of age and older. No underage applicant will be admitted to the course.
- No derogatory criminal record.
- No alcohol or drug abuse
- Must wear appropriate PPE during training, particularly practical training
Benefits of a forklift license
- Earning a forklift license is a huge plus for you when applying for a job as a forklift driver. You are more likely to be selected as a suitable candidate for the job.
- The license serves as proof against hefty fines and penalties from OSHA when inspectors visit the company.
- Operators are trained during training to troubleshoot and fix mechanical problems when they occur, employer does not need to hire a mechanic, reducing expenses.
- Licensed operators are expected to work more efficiently and productively, thereby increasing work output and results.
- Properly trained operators pay more attention to safety when performing the job, reducing material damage, near misses and infrequent accidents.
- Being a licensed forklift driver opens up job security. You are more likely to be selected for a more mature position as a coach or trainer, promotion and raise.
Do you need OSHA 10 training for your job?
New York is one of the states that has enacted laws requiring workers to complete OSHA 10 training. If your employer requires it and you are looking for a training provider, here are the vocational/training schools you can find in this state:
- Competent security advice
2 Marriott Plaza, Farmingdale, NY 11735
97-18 Roosevelt Ave, 2. Stock, Flushing, NY 11368
3501 Queens Boulevard, Long Island City, NY 11101
Phone: 718-593-4789; Write to us: 347-422-6742
- New York Security and Training
132 32. St, Nr. 121, Brooklyn, NY 11232
Phone: (718) 734-8400
- Binghamton University State University of New York
Technical building, 1st floor Technical laboratory
4400 Vestal Pkwy E, Binghamton, NY 13902
- Syracuse Educational Opportunity Center
100 New Street, Syracuse NY 13202
Phone: (315) 472-0130
- All NYC Safety & Training
589 Johnson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11237
- Syracuse Builders Exchange
6563 Ridings Rd, Syracuse, NY, 13206
Phone: (315) 437-9936; Fax: (315) 437-5044
- Security Safety Center
172-21 Hillside Avenue, STE 204-205 Jamaica, New York 11432, USA
Phone: 718-658-6644; Toll-free: 1-877-472-4083
- Associated General Contractors of New York State
10 Airline Drive, Suite 203, Albany, New York 12205
Phone: 518-456-1134; Fax: 518-456-1198
- OSHA professionals USA
Toll: 1-(866) 265-5813; Phone: 817-874-5000
The course usually takes 2 days to complete. At the end of the course, students must pass the written test and assessment. Successful participants receive a certificate of completion of the training after completion.
The wallet-sized card will be mailed to you, but it's solid proof that you've completed the course. The card does not expire, but you have to repeat a refresh to renew it, which usually takes 3-5 years.
If you're wondering how much the training costs, well it won't cost you that much. The price ranges from $80 to $120 depending on the training provider. While there is an option to complete the course online, which is cheaper. However, we recommend completing the course in person to gain better knowledge.
We strongly recommend having this proof on your CV, employers prefer candidates with such proof to save them money on training their employees.
Salary of a Licensed Forklift Driver
Because the Big Apple is one of the best performing states in the US, it offers great potential for forklift operators. Currently, a licensed operator can earn up to $41,836 per year on average.
Based on the latest survey report (March 29, 2022) from Salary.Com, these cities and towns are the ones that give high salaries to forklift drivers in NY:
|$41,888 - Agreement||$44,829 - Hawthorn|
|$39,450 - Albania||$44,005 - Highland Falls|
|$41.473 - Amagansett||$46.741 - Hollis|
|$42,088 - Armenia||$46.823 – Jackson Heights|
|$44.910 – Ardsley||$46.741 – Kew Gardens|
|$46,741 - The heirs||$43.221 – Lincolndale|
|$44.868 – Armonk||$44.724 – Long Beach|
|$42.590 - Babylon||$43.768 – Mamaroneck|
|$44,220 – Bearenberg||$46.823 – Maspeth|
|$44.855 - Bedford||$44.538 – Melville|
|$43.642 – Bethpage||44.816 $ – Berg Kisco|
|$44,995 – Blauvelt||44.511 $ - New Milford|
|$46,715 - Airy point||$46.905 – New York|
|$44,840 - Briarcliff estate||$44.995 - Orangeburg|
|$44.923 – Bronxville||$46.741 – Ozonpark|
|$43.568 – Campbell Hall||$44.538 – Plainview|
|$43,272 - Center Moriches||$44,917 - Pomona|
|$44.816 – Chappaqua||$43.631 – Salisbury-Mühlen|
|$44.929 – Conger||$43.344 - Shoreham|
|$46,741 - Crown||$43,995 - Slate Mound|
|$44,538 - Deer Park||$44.995 – Sparkill|
|$44,923 - Dobbs Ferry||$44,981 – Spring Valley|
|$ 39.403 - Ost-Durham||$44.546 – Sterlingwald|
|$44,873—Elmsford||$44.995 – Tappan|
|$44.538 – Farmingdale||$44.842 - Dornenholz|
|$46.741 – Waldhügel||$44.397 – Unionville|
|$44.117 – Fort Montgomery||$41,979 - Bank|
|$44.538 - Greenlawn||$44.868 – Westharrison|
|$44.580 – Greenwood-See||$44,855 - White Plains|
If you can demonstrate your competence for the job and your loyalty to the company, you can be promoted to in-house trainer and ask for a raise.
If you intend to work in itPennsylvania, the wage is slightly lower.
If you have additional concerns about occupational safety standards or questions about the forklift approval process, you can contact these authorities:
New York Department of Labor
State Office Building, No. 12
WA Harriman Campus
Albany, New York 12240
OSHA area office
401 New Karner Road, Ste 300
Albany, New York 12205-3809
New York cities
Albany, Amsterdam, Auburn, Batavia, Beacon, Binghamton, Buffalo, Canandaigua, Cohoes, Corning, Cortland, Dünkirchen, Elmira, Fulton, Genf, Glen Cove, Glens Falls, Gloversville, Hornell, Hudson, Ithaca, Jamestown, Johnstown, Kingston, Lackawanna, Little Falls, Lockport, Long Beach, Mechanicville, Middletown, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, New York, Newburgh, Niagara Falls, North Tonawanda, Norwich, Chenango, Ogdensburg, Olean, Oneida, Oneonta, Oswego, Peekskill, Plattsburgh, Port Jervis, Poughkeepsie, Rensselaer, Rochester, Rom, Rye, Salamanca, Saratoga Springs, Schenectady, Sherrill, Syracuse, Tonawanda, Troy, Utica, Watertown, Watervliet, White Plains, Yonkers